The old brewery building saved and refurbished when New World Thorndon was built. Good to have parts of our history still in daily use.
Some history ...
Staples Brewery was established at Thorndon about 1866 by John (b.1839) and William Staples, the sons of John Staples (b.1814) who was one of the first settlers at Nelson and the founder of the Motueka Brewery.
The Thorndon site was developed to accommodate the new brewing process of fully filtered and carbonated beer. In 1913 a two-storeyed bottling plant was built, to be followed in 1915 by the brew tower. The southwest wing of Thomas Turnbull and Son's original design was omitted, while an existing engine room (date unknown) was incorporated. The beer produced at the plant was called 'Red Band' after the red bands on the brewery's beer casks and for a time the brewery was known as the Red Band Brewery.